St Andrew’s CE (VA) Infant School

History of the School

The school was built in 1892 and a minor rehabilitation took place in 1969 when new classrooms, a hall and a kitchen extension were built. The school has six classrooms, a large hall that is used for dining, PE, music and worship and the offices, a staffroom and storerooms. A programme of redecoration and refurbishment by the Governors has ensured the careful upkeep of the building both inside and out and the building now offers a bright and spacious learning/working environment for staff and children.

A new room was added in 1995. This room is now the library and is also used for small group teaching. Toilet modernisation throughout the school was carried out between 2001 and 2003.

In August 2006 the fire alarm was completely updated and emergency lighting installed. In summer 2006 a major building programme took place to re-site the school's main entrance and offices, and create a larger staffroom. The school had new windows fitted and was completely rewired.

For the safety of all children and adults, security doors have been fitted at the school's entrances/exits. These doors ensure that no entry can be made to the school from outside, whilst always being free to exit from within.

Outside the building there is a lovely playground (see Highlights photos) bordering onto an extensive grassed area and the Early Years outdoor learning and play area.

In Summer 2013 we extended the entrance/offices to include a new disabled toilet and caretaker store.

In Summer 2014 we built on top of the entrance/offices to provide a wonderful new Library / teaching and learning space / and a staff PPA room.

In Spring 2015 with a National Lottery Grant we revamped our Early Years area with a rubber surface. We also added astroturf, new courtyard area for bikes, scooters etc, sandpit and garden area.

In Spring /Summer 2016 we decorated all classrooms and installed new carpets ready for our new Autumn term!